Books and Articles

Books and monographs

Ledbury: parish and people before the Reformation (Chichester, Phillimore, 2010) (ed.)

Ledbury: A market town and its Tudor heritage (Chichester, Phillimore, 2009)

‘ “The place of my nativity”: Pride, Prejudice and the Rhythm of Charitable Giving in Warwickshire, c. 1500-1900’, Dugdale Society Occasional Papers no. 47 (2007)

Father Hudson and his Society: A History, 1898 – 1998 (Birmingham: Birmingham Archdiocesan Historical Commission, 1998)

 

Articles in journals and chapters in books

Researcher and contributor to K. Andrew, A Thousand Years of High Sheriffs in Herefordshire, Hereford, 2017

Contributor to J. Cooper, ed., Bosbury London, University of London, 2016

‘Anglesey Almshouses’ in N. Goose, H. Caffrey, A. Langley eds, The British Almshouse: new perspectives on philanthropy ca 1400 – 1900 (Milton Keynes, FACHRS, 2016), pp. 169 – 189

‘An Agricultural Settlement for Ex-Servicemen in Bosbury’, in Herefordshire and World War One, Workers Educational Association, 2015, pp. 46-51.

‘An Imperial Visitor to Leamington Spa in 1838’, in Unreliable Evidence, exhibition catalogue, Mead Gallery, University of Warwick, 2014

Contributor, with David Whitehead and Janet Cooper, to Eastnor London, University of London, 2013

‘Herefordshire’, with J. Cooper, The Victoria County History 1899-2012: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration London, University of London, 2012

‘From Common Rights to Cold Charity: Enclosure, Poor Allotments and Popular Protest’, in P. Shapely and A. Borsay eds, Medicine, Charity and Mutual Aid: the Consumption of Health and Welfare in Britain, c 1550 – 1950, (Aldershot, Ashgate, 2007), 35-53

‘A house transformed: the restoration of 78 Derngate Northampton’, Building Engineer, pp. 18-19, October 2005

‘Customary Rights and Charities’, in J. Langford and G. Jones, eds, Forests and Chases in England and Wales c. 1500 to c. 1850: Towards a survey and analysis (Oxford, St. John’s College, 2005), pp. 33-36

‘The Restoration of 78 Derngate’, Museums and Heritage Magazine (June 2005)

‘Introduction’ in Sylvia Pinches, Maggie Whalley and Dave Postles, eds, The Market Place and the Place of the Market, Friends’ Paper No. 9, Friends of the Centre for English Local History, University of Leicester, 2004, pp. iii-iv

‘“Derngate Redivivus”: The Restoration of 78 Derngate’, Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society Journal (Summer 2004)

‘Women as objects and agents of charity in eighteenth-century Birmingham’, in R. Sweet and P. Lane, eds, Women and Urban Life in Eighteenth-Century England ‘On the Town’, Aldershot, Ashgate, 2003, pp. 65-85

 ‘Church Charities in the Diocese of Birmingham, 1800-1918’, Catholic Ancestor, 8 (February, 2000), pp. 28-36

‘Lay charities in the Diocese of Birmingham, 1800-1918’, Catholic Ancestor, 8 (June, 2000), pp. 73-82

‘Returns of Papists for the Hundred of Kineton, Warwickshire, 1744, and the City of Coventry, 1744 and 1745’, Midland Catholic History, 7 (2000), pp. 14-26

Editor

Warwickshire History XVI/6, Winter 2016-17, Warwickshire Local History Society, pp.46

Warwickshire History XVI/5, Summer 2016, Warwickshire Local History Society, pp. 40

Newsletter of the Friends of the Centre for English Local History (University of Leicester, 2016), pp. 44

Newsletter of the Friends of the Centre for English Local History (University of Leicester, 2015), 42 pp.

Newsletter of the Friends of the Centre for English Local History (University of Leicester, 2014), 38 pp.

Newsletter of the Friends of the Centre for English Local History (University of Leicester, 2013), 48 pp.

Newsletter of the Friends of the Centre for English Local History (University of Leicester, 2012), 42 pp.

Sylvia Pinches, Maggie Whalley and Dave Postles, eds, The Market Place and the Place of the Market, Friends’ Paper No. 9, (Friends of the Centre for English Local History, University of Leicester, 2004)

 

Reviews

Poverty and Opportunity: 100 Years of the Birmingham Settlement, by Jon Glasby, Brewin Books Ltd., Studley, 1999’, Midland History, 25 (2000), pp. 211-2